HOW TO NOMINATE
Any member in good standing may nominate a local organization. Nomination forms must be submitted no later than 2 weeks prior to the meeting.
Each member may have only one nomination in the charity basket at any time. Each non-profit may only be nominated ONCE. Therefore a member may not nominate a charity that has already been nominated.
If there are more than three nominations there will be a random draw to select only three prior to the meeting,
Once a charity has been awarded funds, it will not be eligible for nomination for three years.
All the charities that are added to the charity basket MUST meet the following criteria:
- Commit to spending the funds, awarded by our members, for the betterment of the Salt Spring Island community
- Be a registered Canadian charity registered with the CRA
- Able to provide individual tax receipts to our members
- Agree not to solicit our members directly for further contributions
- Agree not to create, sell or distribute a list with our members’ contact information
- After funds have been awarded, provide a spokesperson to present to our members at our next meeting
- Must not have received funds from 100 Men Who Care Salt Spring Island in the past 3 years
Currently, there is not a comprehensive list of charities for Salt Spring Island. Two resources that you may find useful for searching local charities are:
- Canada Revenue Agency: Enter “Salt Spring Island” under “City” and enter BC under “Province.”
- Canada Helps
TO NOMINATE A CHARITY
- Ensure your charity meets the requirements of a qualified charity (see above).
- Before you nominate, contact someone at the charity to let them know that the charity is being nominated. Please note: A nomination is for a charity and not specific programs run by the charity.
- Fill out a Charity Nomination Form at least 2 weeks before the next members’ meeting.
- Create a 5-minute presentation that you, or another charity, member will give if your charity is one of the three non-profits randomly selected prior to the meeting.
- Provide the 100 Men Who Care planning committee with a copy of your presentation if you do not want to speak in public, or if you will be away and don’t have another member to speak on your behalf.
- Our planning committee will determine if your charity meets our eligibility criteria. Someone will contact you within a few days if there is a problem with the charity’s eligibility.
For more information on presenting, See our presentation tips